Reishi mushrooms are a relatively new supplement that has become popular in recent years. They also consider to have medicinal properties for their ability to boost the immune system. Some people believe that reishi is helpful for conditions such as allergies, asthma, cancer and high cholesterol.
Traditionally used in Chinese medicine, Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum) is one of the oldest medicinal mushrooms in use. Reishi translates to “herb of spiritual potency.” Reishi’s first use can be trace back to 2000 years ago in China. Reishi is typically find growing on dead trees and stumps in temperate climates.
Today, reishi is a type of medicinal mushroom that is famous for its health benefits. In this article, we are going to cover the potent active ingredients that make reishi so special, followed by a look at some of reishi’s health benefits. We will conclude with tips on how to make sure you get a quality reishi supplement that will provide maximum benefits.
Active Ingredients in Reishi Mushroom
Reishi mushrooms is Traditional Chinese Medicine for over 2,000 years as a medicinal mushroom. In recent years, there has been increasing interest in reishi mushrooms as a natural remedy for a variety of health conditions.
Inside the reishi mushroom’s cell walls lies its potent active ingredient polysaccharides. Polysaccharides are long chains of carbohydrates. The active ingredients are abundantly in reishi and other medicinal mushrooms such as turkey tail and maitake. Polysaccharides demonstrate antioxidant, immunomodulatory, anti-neurodegenerative and blood sugar supporting benefits.
One of the most common active ingredients in reishi mushrooms is cordyceps militaris, which shows to promote the growth of healthy cells and reduce inflammation. Other active ingredients include polysaccharides and oligosaccharides which are thought to have anti-cancer properties, and sterols which shows to improve cardiovascular health.
There are many forms of reishi supplements available on the market, including capsules, tablets, extracts, and teas. It is important to be aware of the different types of reishi supplements and make sure you are taking the right one for your specific needs.
One type of polysaccharide that reishi is rich in is beta-D-glucans. Research showa that these potent substances stimulate the immune system to defend against bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic infections. In the next section, we’ll get into what this means in terms of reishi’s health benefits.
Reishi Mushroom Health Benefits
As mentioned, Reishi was originally used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for a wide range of conditions, like heart health and general inflammation. In TCM, reishi is referred to as “the mushroom of immortality”. It’s thought to increase longevity and slow the aging process.Here are some of reishi mushroom’s benefits:
Reishi Mushroom’s benefits:
- Immune support: reishi also support optimal white blood cell formation. White blood cells are a critical part of the immune system response.
- Mood support: supports healthy brain function, a balanced mood and reduces stress levels.
- Heart health: reishi has been studied for its ability to lower blood pressure, improve cholesterol levels and reduce inflammation.
- Enhances calmness: reishi also support healthy stress response, mood and sleep patterns.
- Sleep support: reishi may support healthy sleep patterns and improve sleep quality.
- Hormonal balance: reishi can help to modulate the uptake of sex hormones like estrogen.
- Reishi mushrooms are effective in reducing anxiety and stress.
- They also help improve sleep quality and can reduce nightmares.
- They can also help improve immune system function.
- Finally, reishi mushrooms have anti-inflammatory properties. Which can help reduce pain and inflammation throughout the body.
As you can see, there is a wide range of health benefits that you can expect from taking reishi.
Reishi Mushroom Supplements
These days, you can find reishi supplements in many forms from capsules to teas. If you are looking to maximize the benefits of your reishi supplement, a capsule is usually the best place to start. Here’s what to look for:
- Hot water extraction: this traditional extraction method is preferable to ground because it does not damage the delicate polysaccharides in the mushroom. Polysaccharides are bound to the cell walls by a substance called chitin, which dissolves in the hot water and releases the health-promoting ingredients.
- Standardized: simply put, standardized means that you are getting a consistent amount of polysaccharides in every capsule.
Reishi is best taken with food to avoid stomach upset or irritation. The optimal recommended dose is 1500 mg per day (standardized to 1500 mg of polysaccharides); however, some health care practitioners may recommend a lower or higher dose depending on your health status and goals.
There are many forms of reishi mushroom supplements on the market.
One common form is a powder that can be mixe into water or juice to drink or administer as a food supplement.
Another common form is capsules, which can be swallow whole or divide into smaller doses and take with food.
Reishi mushroom supplements to improve overall health and well-being, including reducing stress levels and improving overall cognitive function.
They are also help to improve joint health and reduce inflammation by taking Reishi Supplements.
Reishi mushroom does not appear to have any major side effects. However, large doses of reishi may cause stomach upset and diarrhea in some people. It can also lower blood sugar levels and is not recommend for people with diabetes.
For thousands of years reishi mushroom is a powerful healing tonic. Modern science is showing this ancient folk wisdom to be true, revealing that this “herb of spiritual potency” is one of the most potent natural antioxidants and immune system boosters nature has to offer.
Which Reishi Supplement is Best?
Host Defense Mushrooms Reishi is a top quality mushroom supplement that people love. This formula is encapsulate in easy to swallow vegetable capsules and made with U.S grown organic mushroom mycelium. Being gluten and GMO free, you get all the good stuff without any nasty additives. Host Defense reishi is bio-digestible and bio-available and is the #1 selling medicinal mushroom species worldwide.
Reishi is a type of mushroom that is best for its numerous medicinal benefits. You can find reishi supplements in many forms, including as a tea, powder, capsule, or extract. Here’s a rundown of the best ways to consume reishi:
- Tea: Most people prefer to drink reishi tea as it has multiple health benefits. Tea made with reishi increases energy and circulation, supports cognitive function, and helps to improve moods and sleep quality. Tip: Try brewing a blend of green and black tea to get the most from the herbs.
- Powder: Powders are great if you want to take reishi on the go or if you don’t have time for a full tea session. They’re also perfect for mixing into smoothies or juices for added benefits.
- Capsules: If you want immediate relief from symptoms, capsules are a great way to go. Although it work quickly to reduce inflammation, pain, and stress while promoting healthy digestion.
- Extracts: If you want the most comprehensive benefits from reishi supplements, consider using an extract. Extracts are more concentrated than other forms of reishi. Provide greater impact on your health overall.
Disclaimer: The information in this article is intended for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered as a substitute for medical advice. Please consult your practitioner prior to taking herbs or nutritional supplements.